Saturday, February 18, 2012

Price Doesn't Sell

Hello all,

   While reading a blog post from the Gunner's Journal, I ran into this little piece of treasure:
The Kimber has a one year warranty. Rock Island LIFETIME warranty. Repairs on the Rock Island are seldom needed. Turnaround time for warranty repair is one week to ten days. Kimber warranty work has a turnaround time of one month from what I’ve read in the 1911 forums. Rock Island normally adds an extra magazine when returning a warranty repair gun to the owner.
Would I carry the Kimber while going in harms way? Yes after breaking it in and it having shown itself reliable after the initial problems. Would I carry the Rock Island? Yes without a second thought.
I believe this provides enough information for anyone in the market for a 1911 to make an informed decision to choose between the two brands. I welcome your comments, experiences and opinions.

You can read the whole post here, but for a guy like me, who's next gun purchase will be a 1911, this means a lot. Price doesn't always sell, and research like this can mean a lot for people like me, who don't have a lot of money to put into a gun, but still want one.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read, I owned a kimber 1911 and loved it. I put about 5,000 rounds through it before the guide rod spring needed replacing. I never had a single issue with the gun itself. I did have issues with the magazines that came with it and subsequently purchased McCormick magazines on the recommendation of a friend and they worked great. I had a big issue with the 22LR conversion kit that I bought so my ex-wife could shoot too. The magazines were plastic and didn't feed well and when it did feed the extractor wouldn't work properly. I ended up having to punch out spent casings from the chamber with a .223 cleaning rod. When I make my next gun purchase, and it will be another 1911 I would like to get another kimber, but we'll just have to wait and see because it appears that perhaps the quality of the brand is not what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete